Skip to main content

Bad Boys

The Buddhist monk Thicht Nat Han offers a mindfulness meditation using breathing. Like most things I've bastardized it to the point that I'd hate to have to tell him I got it from him as he might raise a skeptical eyebrow. While walking the dogs I try to take a deep breathes in and remind myself that I am receiving good from the world around me. Than I breathe out and try to remind myself that I give good to the world. Some days my sinuses are acting up and I don't breathe so well. Today is one of those days!
   The weather is heavy gray with a steady wet spring snow coming down. We need the moisture so intellectually I'm happy but my mood is as gray as the clouds. The locus of the funk is politics but I'm smart enough to know that the root is firmly sprouted from a compost of life's little detritus. I'm surrounded by sickness and poor health. I love my dogs. Thus Callie's showing her age is a little nibble at my psyche. On Deb's recent trip to visit her family I managed to forget to give Callie her pills for two days and saw a quick degradation of her health. Thankfully she rebounded back as quickly. My neighbors Donnie and Francie have been trading visits to the hospital. She for a bad back that involves a whole Ace hardware department of rods, wedges and bolts. All of which keep working and than failing. Donnie's lung cancer came back and this week has been radiation treatments followed by what has to be a nervous wait to see.  My gardening buddy Shawn fell and had to go to the hospital where they discovered liver cancer. He's decided that he doesn't want the chemotherapy. My niece as I mentioned in my last blog underwent surgery for breast cancer and is now looking at additional chemotherapy.  My Father had a cancer removed from his vocal cords and is recovering his voice. Which at the time seemed quite serious. Serious till my 92 year old Mother the EverReady bunny of the geriatric set decided to get hit by a car while walking home from the grocery store. Broken leg, serious cuts, the whole schmear.
  Deb painted a simple little picture that shows a dandelion's fluff blowing off the stem. She wrote on it "let go". It's a wise and deep thought. Smart gal that one. Will the storm's cold and snow kill the nectarines blossom and with it the hope of sweet juicy fruit this fall. Or will the the moisture be just the ticket to a bumper crop. It's really not mine to decide.
 The music this morning is UB40, Bob Marley and Inner Circle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc

 That was the other day! Deb and I escaped for two cold nights down to our cabin. Today, home, we woke up to a gorgeous bright sunny spring day. The lawn was deep green with grape hyacinth and red tulips (and a few dandelions) exploding throughout the yard. I'll be stopping in a few minutes to go visit my folks but in calling my Dad this morning he says my mother is feeling better. I dropped some lettuce, arugula, and garden greens (including dandelion greens - Shhh, actually quite tasty!) by to Shawn. Whatever his health is his attitude is great. Heck even Callie decided to chase some elk off our property while we were at the cabin. No real risk to the elk just an old border collie feeling the stirrings of DNA and spring.
 If this blog is going to bend towards the garden it's going to have to start with dandelions. I believe I've read that dandelions are considered an invasive species. But hey tomatoes are immigrants too!  My relationship with dandelions is, how do they say, - "evolving". When I first moved in with Deb the yard had it's share of dandelions and the previous homeowner had left a bag of weed and feed in the garage. It's the burbs and I was the new guy so I knew I would be judged by the dandelion count in my yard. So weed and feed it was. I would never consider using chemicals on my veggies but I tried to rationalize it for my lawn as different. The weed and feed bag ran out and the next year I dutifully donned gloves and pried the dandelions out by hand. Thankfully, the neighbor kids needed swimming pool money and for a few years saved me from having to do little more than supervise and pony up the cash. But kids grow up and our neighborhood wasn't sprouting any new ones so my old knees were getting nervous. The garden had grown by this point so I was more and more committed to no chemicals. A chance wander through Ace hardware brought some relief with a snazzy cane shaped (somehow appropriate) dandelion puller you use while standing. The dandelions didn't disappear but were kept well in check and I could gossip with neighbors about which neighbors "really needed to pull their weeds". Some time back I had heard that corn gluten sprinkled on the lawn would kill weeds. Thing is I could find plenty of gluten free bread (why bother!?) but corn gluten had people looking at me like I was very confused.
 This winter my Youtube wanderings brought yet another evolution to my thinking about my little yellow friends. I'd heard about making a mock coffee by roasting the root, but the roots I'd seen were tiny. More importantly, coffee is sacred! It's my last decent vice. I don't need fancy but no Tasters Choice and the day just comes out sideways. But dandelion fritters - OK I'm listening.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T29nfc0GRoE The warm winter brought a few early visitors to experiment with and I can give a full two thumbs up to dandelion tempura. I doubt any of the vitamins and minerals the plants are famous for survives a dunk in the hot oil, but tasty - yeah! I'm going a bit healthier with leaves and flowers on salads while the lettuce gets up to size in the garden.
 Ah, almost forgot the gluten. The local garden shop sent me an online coupon for a bag of corn gluten. Send a cheap old Scotsman a coupon and you own him! I'd like to think my asking about it had some effect on them starting to carry it but with that asking comes an obligation to try some once they do carry it. Thus I bought a bag. No results to report yet but I gotta like a product that is natural and organic and has directions that read in part "the flowering of the lilacs in your neighborhood is the best indicator ... to apply"
  Inner Circle's Bad Boys (the theme to COPS) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd68AthoNIw  just came on and I'm trying to think of a dandelion parody with perhaps me as the dandelion police. Bad buds - bad buds what ya gonna do. Perhaps not quite as bad as my niece who came into my mother's hospital room singing Grandma got run over by a Tahoe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGWYvZqhdw
 I'll leave you with a jump back to my last blog in which I talked briefly about YouTube's use of algorithms to censor/remove inappropriate videos. The subject kinda blossomed after I wrote the piece with Facebook founder defending his privacy/content policies before Congress. Additionally a former YouTube employee ratted out the firms tricks to hook you into watching more. Than the stories and pieces started jumping my way. First a video calling for a YouTube content partners union, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RfYt_p2mk over issues of censorship and money. (I have to add while watching the video I kept waiting for it to be revealed as a Monte Python joke but no...)
Next came a TED talk by Glenn Greenwald https://www.ted.com/talks/glenn_greenwald_why_privacy_matters#t-902 (I'm not sure if the video will directly cue up or if it's within the full article - but it is worth the time!) He provides perhaps the best/simplest reply I've ever heard to those who question my concerns around privacy.  The topper came with the local news announcers tisc tiscing about China's recently announced Social Credit System https://hackernoon.com/big-brother-meets-black-mirror-in-the-middle-kingdom-3febe4574467 (the announcers apparently felt free to disapprove when it happens in bad China!).
 Much like dandelions I doubt my privacy concerns will ever disappear. I have a friend (Hey Joe) who sells tracking devices to the judicial system to monitor prisoners and the like. He also as a hobby abuses TSA agents on his many business flights for violating his Rights. Likewise a recent conversation with a librarian at a Jefferson County library revealed a woman proud of the library's stance to protect the privacy of John Hinckley's  reading list from prying eyes. Yet somehow incredulous that I would be concerned that modern phones act as a tracking device better than my friends prisoner models. Drive a car? Try to buy one that doesn't merely track how you drive but where, and of course sells that information to private businesses and government if asked. My gym politely checks me in but would prefer that I provide my electronic fingerprint for their new check in system. My nieces limit their use of Facebook 'cause too many creepy people watching. and on and on perhaps I need to invest in some digital corn gluten and figure out a recipe for nosy fritters.  Doug A.
  And just for fun one more video to abuse you with and leave you with a smile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtk5Ej-xLsM

Comments

  1. hey Doug, first I think that I get some kudos for the fact that I managed to find time to read the blog on the same day that you released it (the videos will take more time). Next, I do have to admit that you and I are on the same page with the privacy thing, and more than once have I wondered what will happen when the powers that be (those whose names we will never know) begin using this technology on "everyone else" besides those to whom they are marketed. But I suppose I figure it's better to be working on this side of things if for no other reason than to know how they REALLY work for when the day comes that we are all wearing them. But I digress...
    The reason that I am writing is to comment on the corn gluten. Please remember that it ONLY works to prevent germination. it does nothing at all for established weeds. I used to use the stuff all of the time. One year I spread it on one half of the lawn - just to see what would happen. It's not only effective at cutting down on the weeds (there were less weeds on the treated side than on the other, but more noticeable was how green the treated side was by comparison. It's a very good fertilizer.
    The following year I spread it liberally on the flower garden, but didn't do the 'cover only one half' experiment, so I can only speak anecdotally, but it sure felt as if we had less weeds that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe, yes I'm counting on you to have the bunk next to me when we get sent to the gulag and being my ankle bracelet consultant. Pay will be in dandelions the only true currency. (Travis will no doubt be touting crypto-dandelions!)
      Thanks for letting me know about the results of your corn gluten experiment. I'll adjust my thinking and expectations (and up my dandelion fritter consumption!).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A thought in two parts

  BeauSoleil is tapping out a fast paced rhythm. Buckwheat Zydeco and The Cajun Allstars will join in for a day of Cajun music to match the temperature. It's odd on a hot and humid day to hear such lively upbeat music. My only logic I can put to it is you don't pick up the fiddle or go to the Fais do-do till the work is done and the evening cool lets you cut loose.   Along that line of thought goes the 'garden'. An odd moment early in the morning or following an afternoon thunderstorm allows me to keep up with the general maintenance of a suburban yard, lawn and such. To really cut loose and garden will have to wait till the temperatures cools in the fall. I'm simply not acclimated yet. I have however started.   Nothing grand mind you but a start. Couple of days ago I finished mowing the lawn put the mower on the lowest setting and scalped a 35' x 7' section. With the thick black plastic pinned down on it, the hope is to use a bit of judo. The heat of July

Weeding watching wondering

  No music to lubricate the keyboard as I type this blog. Last night Deb and I listened late into the night (mighta been 10 - 10:30!) to a compilation called REBORN TO RUN the 35th anniversary of mustang (Which I could find no information on but here is a good snip from it. ) Along with some Eagles and Allman Brothers, we were a couple of giddy kids. It really doesn't matter how old you actually are when you hear music from your 'time', you return to that time. Harsh reality is back then I wouldn't have known how to talk to a hot girl like Deb. Heck - didn't know how to talk to any girl. So the music was great but it's good not to delude yourself. The Buddhist say there are two realities. Reality as you perceive it and reality as it is. Confusing the two and you're liable to pull a muscle or something. 'cides I'm liking living in this moment. I got the girl!   Couple of days ago was up before the heat weeding the local Bermuda grass out of a front pl

Winter

 Just came in from digging the kitchen scraps into the latest raised bed. The soil is essentially non-existent merely a fill of leaves, a tiny amount of grass clippings, and some wonderful chicken coop material Deb's sister had saved aside for me. The chicken poop has already started heating the pile after watering it yesterday. All very hopeful, that it might burn down into something plant-able by spring. Adding to the hope a light drizzle has begun with rain expected through the afternoon and evening. Yeah I know chicken poop and compost are kinda out there on the garden nerd spectrum.   The rain is the perfect accompaniment to the blues on the stereo. The weather outside gray and more invigorating than cold. Inside a mug of tea and a combo of Fats Waller, Howlin' Wolf and best of all the Alligator Records' 20th Anniversary Collection. The enclosed notes in the Alligator two CD edition are the story of legends of the blues. The talent list is a powerhouse going from Pinet

Enchanted

 I've been trying to force this blog out for awhile, unsuccessfully. Deb's off visiting her sister, my chores are close enough to done, and rain is threatening, giving me pause to start the ones that remain. Thus I was a moment ago sitting enjoying a sweet sun tea, listening to some Bluegrass and finishing an article. I had put the Telluride Bluegrass Cd on the stereo last night while reading. Both the CD and the article on my phone were left over from last night. Inspiration struck, I refilled the tea switched the stereo to Stevie Nicks and pulled out the laptop. Pop, fizzle, nada, just a blank screen and an equally blank brain. We'll blame Stevie!  The Stevie Nicks book (that seems to be what she is calling it?) is a neatly packaged box set of 3 CDs, art and photos called ENCHANTED . It was an impressive buy for a dollar at a library sale some years back. Kind of the equivalent of finding a good Dali print at the thrift store. The memory of the thrill of the 'hunt&#

Peek a boo

  I'm hiding out! Ensconced in my mom's old comfy chair. Bag of pretzels and glass of water on the drum table to my side. Stereo playing a collection of familiar old jazz or at least that was the intention as I've managed to start the group off with THE BEST OF Sessions at west 54th. The 'Sessions' is a compilation from the PBS show of the same name. The artists are all class A the songs and the music as good as you could ask for. Like many compilations it's a bit uneven jumping from Sheryl Crow and Natalie Merchant to the Mavericks and Elvis Costello but that is not the fundamental problem. I want to hide out. Getz, Coltrane, Chet Baker deep jazz to get lost in, comfortable, old, smooth.   Too many good artist on the 'Sessions' to bump the stack to the next CD. I'll fluff the pillow behind my back, add ice to the water, and get rid of the damned pretzels. (Lord I can grind through them mindlessly!) In short I'll adjust and try to find the peac

Hopes on third

   Just back from this year's frosty final farmers market. Johnny Cash and Chris LeDoux, are stacked up on the stereo with Dwight Yoakam twanging as I type. A cool and cloudy day outside. Way too much Halloween candy 'hidden' in the next room. The boys of October will be finishing their seasons with the World Series. The garden will stretch out a bit longer with all thoughts of too hot to work outside banished to the past. Our 1st winter lies ahead.  It's October in Oklahoma.  Our haul from the farmers market was an eclectic mix. Way too large a bag of hot peppers from a fellow selling honey. He clearly wanted to get home and gave us the whole lot for 2 bucks. A pretty little bench of local cedar from Curtis who was staying warm in his truck. Curtis is one of those interesting artisans that you see at farmers markets. Some of his pieces are not quite the thing and some well, catch your eye just right. Cooper was thrilled to see we didn't forget him with a knee bon

Pizza for one :~(

 I've got Lena Horne on the stereo. I always thought, in interviews, her personality was too snooty but I'm following her with Sarah Vaughan. I never saw an interview with Sarah but she was nicknames "sassy" so I guess who cares. Both ladies could sing. Lena's singing Stormy Weather and that's as good a place as any to start. Just finished a cool early morning walk with Cooper around a very quiet Sunday neighborhood. The clouds to the west over Green Mountain look as grey and fat as the weatherman said they would. So I'm expecting today to be a good day of rain, inside music and maybe homemade pizza, later.   The pizza won't be quite the usual thrill as Deb is in Oklahoma for her sister's 70th birthday. I've told Deb and I don't know if she gets it, I enjoy cooking but only when I have her for an 'audience'. Now mind you I'm no chef but even something simple like pizza is fun to make, if you can share the little details like &q

Knock Knock - William Tells!

 Remember when California was this mythical land where everything was just better. I've got the Beach Boys on the stereo, sitting on the back patio on a cool sunny day a light breeze blowing. It rained last night and there are some mustard greens popping in the new raised bed. The large sparrow family is at the bird feeder and splashing in the baths. In short it's just another crappy day in Oklahoma.  It's funny isn't it no one thinks of Oklahoma... I was going to finish that sentence but really Oklahoma is on no one's list of about anything. OK, maybe a list of Meth problems, stray dogs, and tornadoes but nice things well I don't know maybe church women. Yet here I am enjoying an absolutely gorgeous day not a tornado in sight. Deb has just returned from one of the 41, or is it 51 churches here in our little town. She of course looks beautiful and has a smile of peace on her face. Cooper I have to mention is one of those strays that was 'saved' from Okl

Taste like cucumber

I've got to start us off with Waylon Jennings' classic.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxll2-th4Gc Deb and I went down to our cabin in the mountains for the Memorial weekend.  More exactly we went down to our tiny RV on the property next to the cabin.  The cabin floor is close to finished and thus the bed and all are stuffed in the bathroom awaiting warm weather and the final coat of shellac.  A 20' RV two adults and two dogs makes for close quarters, especially when it starts raining.  That said there is something quite wonderful about playing rummy 500 by lantern light with Deb.  It's way too easy in a marriage to get to plinking along in your little path and forget how nice it is to have a wife you love. I suggested to Deb that although the RV is getting on 40 years old we could probably get a pretty penny for it if we marketed it as a marital therapy tool.  (therapy dogs extra!)   Being a gardener I have sprinkled some seeds as the cabin has started coming toget

The tomatoes are red the gardener is blue

 I'm stuck in a loop. I think that's what software programmers call it. I know the roots of this hopelessness are firmly planted in the utter destruction of our cabin and property in the forest fire that I alluded to in the last blog's prologue. Knowing the source of a polluted stream doesn't really help if your just wallowing in it. It's the wallowing that is the loop. A sporadic series of should haves and could haves that leave you so second guessed out that I've got little mental energy to accomplish all but the littlest things. Musically speaking I got da blues!   The music is Billie Holiday - Lady in Autumn.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npoe5XeeMYE&list=PLbYb5_Imn1rsDMoIU38jxi_O0aRaYj4CG 'cause given my mood - well, it was the obvious choice.   If you're a libertarian like me it's hard not to on occasion reflect on a woman who's life included heroin abuse, alcohol abuse, abusive relationships and died at 44. The line between libert