Skip to main content

Can "Apathy" be a verb?*

   I'm looking out at a sea of green, muted with a fog. The fog likely spells rain and no outside chores today. For today the only music is the chirping of the birds and the buzz of hummers diving past me to the feeders. A man with a plan could accomplish much before any rain or heat slowed him down. Me, I'm pondering 'apathy', the last few sips of my coffee and remembering fondly my year bartending at Guthries on the harbor in the Virgin Islands.

 The ponder might be apathy - might be detoxing. Apathy gets a bad name but has apathy ever started a war? In my younger life Dewars was the fuel for problems. For the world I think it might just be doers. As I write that I have to immediately temper it with recognition that some doer created and made this laptop. The morning would still be as beautiful without technology but the the peace would be broken with the sound of me chiseling on a stone tablet. "Honey, I'm running out of stone could you get me some more!"

  The detoxing piece is more likely. Any life accumulates stuff. Physical stuff, mental stuff, habits and routines it's good to sit and sort through the pile. Trash, donate, keepers and a few wistful 'Boy I need to do more of thats'. At different times in my life I've detoxed on a hike with a dog and once with an extended visit to the Virgin Islands. Today it's a deck off a mobile home pondering the green of cedars, oaks and grass.

  None of us knows how long we get to live. I'd like to think I'll have time to write one more chapter in my life but, what is that chapter about? Deb and I have uprooted a nice life in Colorado but we haven't landed in Nirvana. Life will be as much 'what we make of it' here as it was there. Yet part of the detoxing is getting Colorado out of my head. So forgive me if I ramble a bit like an ex sitting at a bar with his back to a spectacular harbor scene. I'll see the harbor eventually but first I have to de-clutter.

  Colorado is a dramatic, spectacular, beautiful state and it's now too crowded. Yeah, that's a situational thing. When I last hiked up to Hanging Lake, after a solitary bicycle ride through Glenwood canyon along the Colorado river, I couldn't wait to share the giddy awe of her beauty with someone. (The Libertarians I was there with were unavailable as they were indoors arguing some minor point in a bylaws document - just saying!) Now, in order to manage the popularity, you need to schedule a permit to hike to Hanging Lake. I own two vehicles (3 if you count Deb's) and pay way too much in fees taxes, insurance, and maintenance for the little driving I do, but this is not about the money (we'll get there). Two days ago we drove, at the speed limit, (OK, slightly below to the consternation of a few locals!) for a total of 4 hours. Yeah through a city an' everything, I swear! I recall trips to our cabin. Deb and I would always discuss should we plan to leave the cabin early or wait to avoid the traffic on the drive home to Denver. It's like dating a beautiful girl who becomes a starlet. Sometimes you just want some us time.

  Colorado is the birthplace of the Libertarian Party and I am a libertarian to the core.  Hell, if you choose to consume Fentanyl to avoid whatever greater tragedy your life holds, go for it! You should be able to buy it for a nickel, by cutting out the cartels, at the same place you buy your cigarettes, booze, and weed. Thing is it tests a libertarians patience when his cabin is burned down in a forest fire started by a 'homeless' person who 'forgot' his campfire. When an old libertarian wants to pretend he's still cool by going downtown to meet some friends, it shouldn't be about finding a parking space close enough to be safe. Colorado might be the home to the mythological Galt's Gulch but the gulch up the street was starting to get too real. Richard used to be 'the' local schizophrenic who hung out in the area after the lite-rail was built. Richard would pay for his coffee at the Starbucks but was a bit of a slob in his camping habits. Nothing really that the private and public clean up crews couldn't handle, just one guy. After the Rite Aid (next to the gulch) closed the owners were 'encouraged' to put up fencing to keep it from becoming a homeless KOA. (would that be an HOA :-) The gulch next door, well no one really owns that so... Walking with Cooper past the area on my Saturday walk started becoming a bit too - I'll just say 'interesting'. Libertarians believe in self government. Self government stands on two legs, two interconnected pieces Rights and responsibilities. Said another way 'You don't tell me what to do or not - I tell me'. Colorado once, like many places, needed to be goosed by the Libertarian Party to remember the left leg of Rights. It now needs to be remember that other leg, responsibilities. Perhaps the libertarians that remain can step up to that role. For me life is too short to be attached to a mate who has gone from colorful to too colorful.  

  Yeah, and money. I can tell myself what, if any, drugs I want to consume who I choose to sleep with (heck what 'sex' I am). I can decide what 'news' I click on and what protection I carry. That same adult who can do all those things and more, can enjoy my money as I see fit. Miser or philanthropist 'nobody's business what I do'! I've made some really really stupid decisions with money and the little bit that I do have came about as a combination of luck and hard work. It also came about because I had the good fortune to live in a place and a time that had a structure of law that allowed the accumulation of wealth. As many of you know Coloradans some 30 years ago created an addition to our State Constitution called TABOR. TABOR said simply, government's share of my wealth can be this much and no more. Yeah sure we'll allow for growth in dollars collected based on population growth and inflation but otherwise if a group through government wants more they have to ask and people have to say yes. Those next 30 years have been a litany of being cajoled with appeals of "it's only a penny more". Threatened with we have money for the things 'we' want but the things 'you' are used to must be cut and of course straight out lied to that a fee is not a tax. They say money is the number one cause of discord in relationships. Discord implies a conversation, no matter how angry. 30 years of 'conversation' I'm tired, same conversation different day, I walked. "That's my story bartender. That's why I'm here. You got another one of these - what ' you call 'em pina what? - man that view is beautiful. You ever notice it when you're working ?"

  Yeah I noticed the view every shift I worked at Guthries. The place itself was a bit of a dive but the view 4 stars. I recall more than a few of the adjacent hotel's guests being mellowed by it when they found out the hotel ice machine wasn't working and I'd been forbidden to fill their little bucket with ice. OK the view and and a "hey they didn't say I couldn't comp you a pina colada with a little extra rum! Sit relax mahn!"

  I did fail to notice the beautiful garden of the house I was renting. (in my defense I was much younger and an idiot!) A previous tenant had put in lime trees and every tropical flower and bush one could imagine. I managed to notice the 'sugar birds' that would join me on the deck for morning coffee and 'steal' from the sugar bowl but missed more than a slight memory of the yard. Detoxing is funny that way, you don't know the future as you are usually busy sorting out the past. Thus I sit in a funny limbo not actively producing what I'll look back on as that next chapter. Or is that how new chapters begin?   

 There is a garden here. Eileen has kindly let me use an old bed for the potato onions and some spinach I slipped in between the onions was part of last night salad. But, is that my future? We have pick out a house and will be closed soon. So I have a simple sense of the yard and can imagine the most likely spots to grow veggies. This next year will be about learning. Asking questions, observing, maybe some trials and a lot more asking questions. Perhaps it will all follow a path similar to my last garden but we're talking the future here. So, what is the old saying 'Man plans the dogs laugh' or maybe that was 'the cat laughs'. Anyway, I've been working on my asking questions skills. It's oddly tough to ask a question and then actually listen. Deb has been her usual kind self and humored my insisting we go to farmers markets plant sales and the like so I can practice. Again, this is looking into a future but am I asking useful questions for the actual future? Doug A.

Robert Frost

 Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

  * My English major wife says Apathy can't be a verb (she did hesitate tho!) 'course a late friend, Doug Wilhelm, pointed out Libertarians hate being told no and will stand on their heads to prove the opposite. So I offer this challenge - use it in a sentence as a verb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A thought in two parts

  BeauSoleil is tapping out a fast paced rhythm. Buckwheat Zydeco and The Cajun Allstars will join in for a day of Cajun music to match the temperature. It's odd on a hot and humid day to hear such lively upbeat music. My only logic I can put to it is you don't pick up the fiddle or go to the Fais do-do till the work is done and the evening cool lets you cut loose.   Along that line of thought goes the 'garden'. An odd moment early in the morning or following an afternoon thunderstorm allows me to keep up with the general maintenance of a suburban yard, lawn and such. To really cut loose and garden will have to wait till the temperatures cools in the fall. I'm simply not acclimated yet. I have however started.   Nothing grand mind you but a start. Couple of days ago I finished mowing the lawn put the mower on the lowest setting and scalped a 35' x 7' section. With the thick black plastic pinned down on it, the hope is to use a bit of judo. The heat of July

Taste like cucumber

I've got to start us off with Waylon Jennings' classic.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxll2-th4Gc Deb and I went down to our cabin in the mountains for the Memorial weekend.  More exactly we went down to our tiny RV on the property next to the cabin.  The cabin floor is close to finished and thus the bed and all are stuffed in the bathroom awaiting warm weather and the final coat of shellac.  A 20' RV two adults and two dogs makes for close quarters, especially when it starts raining.  That said there is something quite wonderful about playing rummy 500 by lantern light with Deb.  It's way too easy in a marriage to get to plinking along in your little path and forget how nice it is to have a wife you love. I suggested to Deb that although the RV is getting on 40 years old we could probably get a pretty penny for it if we marketed it as a marital therapy tool.  (therapy dogs extra!)   Being a gardener I have sprinkled some seeds as the cabin has started coming toget

The tomatoes are red the gardener is blue

 I'm stuck in a loop. I think that's what software programmers call it. I know the roots of this hopelessness are firmly planted in the utter destruction of our cabin and property in the forest fire that I alluded to in the last blog's prologue. Knowing the source of a polluted stream doesn't really help if your just wallowing in it. It's the wallowing that is the loop. A sporadic series of should haves and could haves that leave you so second guessed out that I've got little mental energy to accomplish all but the littlest things. Musically speaking I got da blues!   The music is Billie Holiday - Lady in Autumn.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npoe5XeeMYE&list=PLbYb5_Imn1rsDMoIU38jxi_O0aRaYj4CG 'cause given my mood - well, it was the obvious choice.   If you're a libertarian like me it's hard not to on occasion reflect on a woman who's life included heroin abuse, alcohol abuse, abusive relationships and died at 44. The line between libert

Winter

 Just came in from digging the kitchen scraps into the latest raised bed. The soil is essentially non-existent merely a fill of leaves, a tiny amount of grass clippings, and some wonderful chicken coop material Deb's sister had saved aside for me. The chicken poop has already started heating the pile after watering it yesterday. All very hopeful, that it might burn down into something plant-able by spring. Adding to the hope a light drizzle has begun with rain expected through the afternoon and evening. Yeah I know chicken poop and compost are kinda out there on the garden nerd spectrum.   The rain is the perfect accompaniment to the blues on the stereo. The weather outside gray and more invigorating than cold. Inside a mug of tea and a combo of Fats Waller, Howlin' Wolf and best of all the Alligator Records' 20th Anniversary Collection. The enclosed notes in the Alligator two CD edition are the story of legends of the blues. The talent list is a powerhouse going from Pinet

Bleeping grackles

 I've just spent the last 15 minutes searching bird guides on-line and on paper to try to figure out what is nesting in the grape arbor.  It looks like a nuthatch or wren that has dressed to go to work for UPS.  It's incredibly tiny and quite cute but clearly not one to be pushed around.  When I first saw it at the beginning of summer it was trying to take over a bird house I had created out of an old boot.  Some chickadees had moved in and I was thrilled to see the house used.  The chickadees had dutifully carried a boots worth of material from the yard to their nest.  At a moment when both the male and female were out collecting material my little UPS bird 'discovered' the boot.  He sat at the hole pulling material out.  Clearly their tastes in furnishings were different you could almost see him (her?) shaking his head "this straw with those drapes - come on!".  The chickadees returned and a battle royal ensued with it ending with two chickadees (which are b

Enchanted

 I've been trying to force this blog out for awhile, unsuccessfully. Deb's off visiting her sister, my chores are close enough to done, and rain is threatening, giving me pause to start the ones that remain. Thus I was a moment ago sitting enjoying a sweet sun tea, listening to some Bluegrass and finishing an article. I had put the Telluride Bluegrass Cd on the stereo last night while reading. Both the CD and the article on my phone were left over from last night. Inspiration struck, I refilled the tea switched the stereo to Stevie Nicks and pulled out the laptop. Pop, fizzle, nada, just a blank screen and an equally blank brain. We'll blame Stevie!  The Stevie Nicks book (that seems to be what she is calling it?) is a neatly packaged box set of 3 CDs, art and photos called ENCHANTED . It was an impressive buy for a dollar at a library sale some years back. Kind of the equivalent of finding a good Dali print at the thrift store. The memory of the thrill of the 'hunt&#

Peek a boo

  I'm hiding out! Ensconced in my mom's old comfy chair. Bag of pretzels and glass of water on the drum table to my side. Stereo playing a collection of familiar old jazz or at least that was the intention as I've managed to start the group off with THE BEST OF Sessions at west 54th. The 'Sessions' is a compilation from the PBS show of the same name. The artists are all class A the songs and the music as good as you could ask for. Like many compilations it's a bit uneven jumping from Sheryl Crow and Natalie Merchant to the Mavericks and Elvis Costello but that is not the fundamental problem. I want to hide out. Getz, Coltrane, Chet Baker deep jazz to get lost in, comfortable, old, smooth.   Too many good artist on the 'Sessions' to bump the stack to the next CD. I'll fluff the pillow behind my back, add ice to the water, and get rid of the damned pretzels. (Lord I can grind through them mindlessly!) In short I'll adjust and try to find the peac

Hopes on third

   Just back from this year's frosty final farmers market. Johnny Cash and Chris LeDoux, are stacked up on the stereo with Dwight Yoakam twanging as I type. A cool and cloudy day outside. Way too much Halloween candy 'hidden' in the next room. The boys of October will be finishing their seasons with the World Series. The garden will stretch out a bit longer with all thoughts of too hot to work outside banished to the past. Our 1st winter lies ahead.  It's October in Oklahoma.  Our haul from the farmers market was an eclectic mix. Way too large a bag of hot peppers from a fellow selling honey. He clearly wanted to get home and gave us the whole lot for 2 bucks. A pretty little bench of local cedar from Curtis who was staying warm in his truck. Curtis is one of those interesting artisans that you see at farmers markets. Some of his pieces are not quite the thing and some well, catch your eye just right. Cooper was thrilled to see we didn't forget him with a knee bon

Pizza for one :~(

 I've got Lena Horne on the stereo. I always thought, in interviews, her personality was too snooty but I'm following her with Sarah Vaughan. I never saw an interview with Sarah but she was nicknames "sassy" so I guess who cares. Both ladies could sing. Lena's singing Stormy Weather and that's as good a place as any to start. Just finished a cool early morning walk with Cooper around a very quiet Sunday neighborhood. The clouds to the west over Green Mountain look as grey and fat as the weatherman said they would. So I'm expecting today to be a good day of rain, inside music and maybe homemade pizza, later.   The pizza won't be quite the usual thrill as Deb is in Oklahoma for her sister's 70th birthday. I've told Deb and I don't know if she gets it, I enjoy cooking but only when I have her for an 'audience'. Now mind you I'm no chef but even something simple like pizza is fun to make, if you can share the little details like &q

The price of free

I came in when I heard the thunder but was intentionally not going to write.  Couldn't live up to that commitment when Pryor Baird & the Deacons started playing Little Red Wagon. I can't find a YouTube link so I'm substituting with  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEmvBdRLg4k  and I'll leave you to find this driving rhythm.  If you're thinking I've heard Little Red Wagon done by___.  Yeah everybody done it.  Some versions are so slow and deep delta bluesish that you gotta figure heroin was on the menu.  This is I think you'd call it more Chicago blues with a staccato driving beat. No matter what you call it my hands started slapping the desk and that led to slapping this keyboard. For some technical reason beyond my imagination the stereo has flipped past the rest of the CD and gone on to John Mayall Plays John Mayall.  It's John Mayall so I'm not going to argue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BK8-Mmn1s&list=PL94gOvpr5yt2BTHyFMsHRkvcce0XI